Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Lessons Learned from My First Date in 20 Years

Jim, my first date in 20 years, had what management consultants call an “external locus of control,” which simply means he held outside forces responsible for what happened to him, rather than take responsibility for his life. It’s their version of the James Redfield’s “poor me” control drama.

During our two meetings, I heard Jim three times blame other people or circumstances for situations in his life. When his leg prevented him from standing to teach math, he gave up teaching. I told him of a math instructor I knew who use PowerPoint slides to teach and always sat during class. He said he didn’t want to do that, yet lamented because he had to give up teaching, which he loved. Later he told me about the time he came upon a friendly softball game and was disappointed because he wasn’t asked to play. He said they assumed that just because he couldn’t run, he wouldn’t be able to hit and have someone else run the bases for him. I asked him if he’d explained to the guys that he’d like to do that, and of course he hadn’t. He waited to be asked and then fell into self-pity when they didn’t. Finally, Jim complained to me that he wanted to play canasta, a card game my grandmother had taught me but isn’t well known, but couldn’t find anyone. I suggested he use the Internet to search for people, and the notion seemed quite foreign to him. Jim expected the world to come to him and then blamed it when it didn’t. He just could seem to figure out how to make things work for him.

By the end of our date, I had a terrific headache. Despite my headache and that I hadn’t asked him in, he lingered on my front porch. I had to practically close the door on him to get to leave. He also had no idea of my reaction to him apparently, because he called me the next day asking for a second date. By now I had figured it out. I was true to myself and straight with him. I told him directly that I did not care to see him again, because we had completely different approaches to life. When he emailed me later asking for an explanation for this, I obliged and gave him the three examples I just gave you. As a single mother and a business owner, I had to take responsibility for my life. His attitude was not one I could live with.

So what were my take-aways from this experience? I learned to be more discerning and not to overlook what I might not want to see. I learned that just because he’s a nice guy doesn’t mean he’ll necessarily make a good date. I also got clear on what mattered: it was not his physical disability that was the problem, but rather his disabled attitude. Finally, I learned to let this experience go and move on. It was all part of my learning process. I congratulated myself for taking the chance and beginning the dating process again. I had nowhere to go but upward.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.