Friday, September 9, 2011

Are Your Expectations Getting in the Way?

If you’ve read my book, you know that I used Katherine Woodward Thomas’ wonderful book, Calling in the One, on my journey to meeting the love of my life, Roger. One point Thomas emphasized was not to allow your expectations to cause you to miss an ideal partner. She candidly shared that she had almost made this mistake, so I paid careful attention to her advice – or so I thought.

I must admit that as I was dating, I saw myself with someone who was close to my age or even younger. I’m in excellent health and am frequently told that I don’t look my age, so I thought this made sense. Another factor in my reasoning was that my mother had recently died, and I saw how hard it was for my father to be alone. The last thing I wanted was to be in that position. I met Roger on a Saturday night and went to singles mixer the following Thursday where I met two other men I was interested in getting to know better. (By this time in my process, I was getting much more skilled at calling in suitable potential partners.) Of the three men, Roger was the oldest, and he did not fit my image of being “close to my age or even younger.” Dating three men at once was every bit the challenge one would expect it to be, so I was eager to narrow down my choices. I tried to break it off with Roger, but he wouldn’t take “no” for an answer. In the end, I discovered he was right.

Thank heavens, I, like Katherine, got a second chance to get it right. Expectations come in many forms. Be aware of yours, and don’t let them blind you to someone who might just be the love of your life!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for taking the time to comment.